Sunday, September 20, 2009

Don't tell me what it's all about




What do you get when you fall in love?
A guy with a pin to burst your bubble
That's what you get for all your trouble.
I'll never fall in love again.
I'll never fall in love again.


There's this lump, stuck in the throat, that refuses to budge. An emptiness inside. A cynic at full throttle, gurgling from within.
Consumerism is good, I argue with my friends, while promoting it towards the growth of Indian economy. But deep inside the recesses of my heart, a Voice echoes, “but consumerism has promoted packaging…..putting things ( of any quality ) into gay and brilliant drapes and fooling people”.
Me : “But what’s wrong with presenting things nicely?”
Voice : “Nothing. It’s just that packaging often takes the consumer’s mind off from the contents.”
Me : “Well, the consumer has to be careful and conscious!”
Voice : “That’s what I’m telling you! Consumers are lead astray by Packages. Consumers are not matured enough, yet”
Me : “In that case they have to attain maturity by means of trial and error……..simple”
Voice : “Is it so simple really?”
Me : “Yes. Most of the products come with a warranty/guarantee these days.”
Voice : “Most, but not All”
Me : “Those things that are not covered can be changed. You can always buy a new piece”
Voice : “But all things in life are not replaceable. If you are not careful while acquiring them, you may have to do with a faulty or damaged piece all your life”
Me : “Why should I!!! I will surely get a new piece”
Voice : “What about Love?”
Me : “What about Love?!!!!!!”
Voice : “Can you exchange it. Or buy a fresh piece?”
Me : “Ideally you cannot. But these days Love has become rather stale. Moving from hand to hand; rather heart to heart J “
Voice : “Right. A commodity, shall we say?”
Me : “Well, we may”
Voice : “And Love has not escaped the clutches of consumerism, you’ll agree, I suppose?”
Me : “Things have to be in sync, you see. Economy and Humanity run hand-in-hand. One cannot bypass the other.”
Voice : “You are indicating that Love is also controlled by Economy?”
Me : “And why not! Empty pockets are no good breeding grounds for Love. It produces under-nourished crop which cannot survive for longtime purposes”

Voice : “So, Love is not Love that breeds in the fallow lands of heart. The heart has to be cultivated to fertility, which can be achieved through money and consumerism AND packaging”
Me : “Now you are getting the drift of the times, my dear Voice. Packaging is of utmost importance. It can change the taste of the food, the smell of the perfume, the …………”
Voice ( interrupting ) : “……the person you are loving, the heart that would have been otherwise unworthy of your Love”
Me : “(ahem) I hope you are not playing me for a fool?!”
Voice : “ Oh no! Dear me! I’m only appreciating your insight into our current social, and consequently inter-personal, phenomena. Thanks for sharing with me. And I was living in a fool’s paradise, thinking how Love can cure all Ills. And not knowing that actually all Ills cure Love!”
Me : “Oh, you flatter me. You see, one only needs to keep the eyes and ears open.”

What do you get when you fall in love?
You only get lies and pain and sorrow
So for at least until tomorrow
I’ll never fall in love again!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment